Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

It has been a month since I posted on this blog; I kept thinking  I should write something, except that I was not moved to share anything.Today, being father's day, I am feeling a bit nostalgic, as I remember my Dad who passed away in 2005. 

I  grew up in a quiet rural village in Central Trinidad;often  I wonder about the challenges my parents would have faced in raising five girls and three boys. I am very grateful that they both worked very hard and took their responsibilities seriously. One of my earliest memories is of our father teaching us the Gayatri mantra, a powerful prayer which offers me solace and support to this day. I certainly have learned to appreciate the value of praying every day to find the strength to meet everyday challenges.

Another memory  comes to mind: how my Dad liked Old Spice cologne, it's what we would usually buy as a Father's Day present, sometimes also a book, as he read a lot.He never really asked for anything much; he was content with what he had, enjoying a simple life. 

So prayer and being contented with a simple life are two things  I remember about my Dad today.  I think modern day parents should give more attention to this saying from the Bible:
Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not depart from it. [Proverbs 22:6]

Have a great day  everyone!


peace,
Reena

1 comment:

  1. I remember him liking Old Spice too.. and always telling us to take what we wanted from the fridge in the shop.. lol

    <3 u mom

    ReplyDelete